Building Regulations – Can You Build Over Public Sewers?

There are a number of rules surrounding building work on and around public lateral drains and sewers. It is important to understand the rules and regulations regarding these structures before you start your project. For example, if you are planning to build a new extension, you should locate the public sewer pipes before you begin the construction. If you are unsure of where the sewer pipes are located, you can talk to the water company to get a retrospective authorisation. This authorisation may require adjustments to your property.

Building work on and around a public sewer

Building work on and around a public sewer is a complex process that requires the expertise of a builder who understands the latest requirements. It is essential to follow Building Regulations and ensure that any work does not add additional loads to the sewer. It is also vital that the location of the public sewer is verified before work begins. For example, sewers that are less than 1.1 metres deep must be positioned at least 150mm from the foundation of a building. In addition, buildings must not be built within three metres of a sewer.

If you are working on a sewer that is over two metres deep, you must be sure to run the sewer away from the building foundations. You must also pay for sewer surveys and ensure that the new connections are made through a pre-formed junction. In addition, new connections must be ‘with the flow’ and be made to a manhole with a soffit to soffit ‘with-the-flow’ entrance. Additionally, you cannot build on a public sewer that is overbuilt over four or more continuous properties without an operational manhole.

Before you start any construction work, you need to get approval for the development. The council will inspect the project and assess its suitability. The building will need to be at least 500mm away from the sewer if it is more than two metres deep. You also need to ensure that the sewer is at least 1.5m below the invert level of the pipe.

If you are planning to carry out building work on or around a public sewer, it is important to contact the water authority before you begin any work. You can usually find the owner’s address on your sewer bill. You will also need to obtain the consent of the sewerage undertaker before you can start work.

A side sewer permit is also required for any work on or around a public sewer. You can obtain one from the department of public works. You will need to complete an application and include the address and legal description of your property. You must also specify the dimensions of the building you plan to build. The public works director will then review the plan and determine how it will connect to the sewer. You will have to pay a permit fee for the work.

Building work on and around a public lateral drain

If you are planning to build on or close to a public lateral drain, you must seek permission before you start construction. Building work over a lateral drain requires a Building Control body’s approval and planning permission. However, in some cases, the work can be permitted under homeowners’ permitted development rights. It’s also important to note that building over a lateral drain caused by Welsh Water is not permitted.

The route of the drain should be selected carefully to avoid foundations and obstructions. In some cases, additional access chambers may be required. You should follow the guidance in Approved Document H for the area where the drain will be located. You must also make sure that the drains are at least 0.8 metres below ground level.

Before starting any construction work, you must locate the public lateral drain and sewer and the building drain. You must also check that the sewer and lateral drain are not too close to the building’s foundations. You need to follow the guidelines in the building regulations so that the new sewer does not cause additional load to the existing sewer.

Before you start any building work on or around a public lateral drain, you should consult with Thames Water to find out what they require. In many cases, you will need to obtain permission from Thames Water and obtain any necessary approvals. In some instances, you may need to undertake additional surveys. For example, if you plan to build a pile foundation, you should make sure that you build the piles at least twice the diameter of the pipe and a minimum distance of 1.5m from the outside of the pile to the outside of the sewer pipe.

Building work on and around a public septic system is dangerous and must be undertaken with care. If the drains are damaged, they may become clogged and can cause health problems and odour nuisance. This can be very costly and time-consuming to repair.

Click here to learn more about drain repair company

Call for a no obligation quote

Perhaps you’re concerned about your budget and finances when it comes to home improvements. If this is the case, give us a call about your budget, and we will offer you a free quote without any pressure. We will also work with your budget to ensure you get the desired fence.